*Due to the size of the presentation, you may be required to refresh the page before playing the video.
The Clinical Trials Unit (CTU) “is a one-stop shop with highly qualified personnel and offers a broad range of services for investigators to conduct study visits ranging low complexity to high complexity.”
CTU Services At-a-Glance
- Obtain history, review of systems, medication reconciliation, and perform physical exams and clinical assessments
- Order and interpret labs/diagnostics, medications, durable medical equipment, referrals
- Assist with data collection
- Screen participants and obtain consent
- Assist with clinical management (i.e. management of AEs and SAEs)
- Common Clinical Procedures
- Vital signs, height, weight, BSA
- Blood draws via direct venipuncture, peripheral IV, and central line, including serial blood sampling for PK and PD samples.
- Blood glucose via finger stick
- Urine pregnancy test
- Body fluid collections (buccal swab, urine, stool, or sputum).
- Administration of medications and investigational drugs/products
- Routes include oral, topical, intramuscular & subcutaneous injections, intravenous, inhalation)
- Chemotherapy (routes include oral, inhalation, SQ and IV infusions).
- Administration of IV fluids
- Cardiac assessments
- Single, triplicate, serial 12- lead ECG (no interpretation)
- Holter monitoring and telemonitoring
- CTU Body composition services:
- DEXA scan of whole body composition, hip, and/or spine.
- Waist-hip circumference.
- Skin fold measurement (per site)
- Patient observation
- Specimen processing (blood, hair follicle, stool, saliva)
- Serum/plasma separation
- Processing via refrigerated centrifuge, microcentrifuge
- Whole blood without processing (no centrifugation)
- Urine or 24 hour urine collection
- Hematology slides (blood smear)
- Buffy coat separation
- WBC from Whole Blood
- Serum/plasma ultrafiltrate
- Quantiferon Gold
- Short term storage in -80 deg C freezer, -20 deg C freezer, and/or small incubator
- Labelling, shipping, and handling
- Blood transfusion
- Procedures that require moderate sedation or deeper sedation
- PMBC isolation with cell counts
- Glucose analysis using YSI glucose analyzer*
- Unable to do any processing that requires fume hoods, microscope or cell counter
* For services not offered, feel free to contact us for further guidance as there may be other possible anxillary services to coordinate with.
Benefits for users
- Highly qualified research personnel
CTU employs research staff includes research nurse practitioners, research nurses, phlebotomists, radiology technicians, and lab technicians to meet all your human study needs
- Specimen processing center
The CTU Specimen processing center processes, stores, and ships research samples.
- Consultation services
The CTU provides consultation services to assist investigators and study teams with all operational aspects of coordinating a study from reviewing a protocol for feasibility, service pricing, budget development, hospital credentialing for medical and research staff, providing a letter of support for grant applications, IRB support, etc.
- Dedicated collaboration with ancillary services
Close partnership with Investigational Drug Services (IDS) pharmacy, radiology, Norris inpatient hospital, and more to facilitate smooth conduct of research.
- Dedicated human research space
Outpatient clinic rooms located at the USC Norris Hospital available for monitoring participants in a calm and private environment.
To set up a consultation or discuss services in more detail, please email email@example.com
Assistant Director for Clinical Research Operations
CTU Lab Supervisor
323-865-3379 (office) or 818-642-4838 (cell)
Clinical Trials Unit (CTU)
Provides a broad range of services to assist in the initiation and conduct of human services.
Tooltip: Clinical Trial Management System (CTMS)
USC’s Clinical Trial Management System, OnCore, is a jointly sponsored, web-based software system for managing clinical trials.